Monday, November 30, 2009

Knoxville

Slept on the floor
Sucking the face of the morning
Stumble out to Farragut
Where your father "lives"

Dip in the creek
Like some Suburban baptismal
Remember the time
You were still five?

Coke bottle highway
Pickup for candy
Seersucker G.I.
Bill sprawled out of town

And the Vol Navy
Will send in the SEALS
Led by Walruses
In SunCatcher pontoons

The haze will settle on old Fort Sanders
Been clean for two years
This is why I had to
I heard you moan in paperthin closets

Took you home excited off of bad words
Ended up in Mule Hollow all wasted and cashed out
Drove toward that giant Gold Ball
Like some Kubrick Baal

Then the Angels in the Outfield Stumbled me up the hillside
And I slept til 4:30 and we had to lie
The drive home was awkward like the way broken legs look
"So now that you've done it, don't you want to die?"

No wonder we're fucked up from all the sad crickets
Who won't play when fights go all night
And only get lonely when we're thinking
And wash out our pre-dreams and turn out the light

So let's all get real cool and go to the mountains
Sit by the dark rocks and moss ourselves down
Wade in the thick icy fingers
And sail miniature sailboats in kneehigh socks

Once I slept while a bear was secondhand Krogering
Next to our car, I practiced fake sleep
My parents they tried to crack my silence
But I hung limp like mom's cousin's wrist at the grill-out

Treat me like Clinch and 12th where I summered
And wintered the hard times with temporal thrill
Timeshare emotions get trashed every season
Especially when Spring Break never ends

No comments:

Post a Comment