Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Holler

This city apartment
is nothing to start with
like a home in a holler
on I-40 east

I pounded the batter
like potbelly deathcries
against my white truck
you beated my brains

A once-over cowgirl
told too many strangers
"the night was mysterious
and I never knew his name."

I told a big bopper
to twirl round the antiques
but crashing he went
with style and with grace

My dark haired Virginia
where spilling is nothing
as long as the cry-milk
is fresh every morn

a time honored rite
a time honored norm
a time honored sprite
a time honored roar

I saw a black doggy
in the sad drizzle
under the guard-rail
of some interstate

I put a blanket right next
to the child
on a tandem
a party boy down
no man down over here

my darling my darling I've loved
you forever
my darling my darling
I just want to
die

with you by my bedside
God's hatchet of course
pressed on my lifeline
I'm gurgling now

for Jesus hath spoken
and angels are knitted
in stockings o'er
cobbles and cobbler's
great-greats

bottles of sorghum
cans of grizz-green
dance in the moonlight
in Mentone, AL

No comments:

Post a Comment