Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tuxtlas (preview)

I was born in international waters
our yacht hit a drug sub
and sliced it open like a manatee
I hear they have two man crews

I hear they have ten tons of drugs
I wonder if the crew gets lonely
eleven miles per hour for
one thousand miles
is ninety-one hours

we limped back to port
my mother changed into her
peasant costume
and my father was
carried in a bag
to the back of a Mercedes
with the square tail lights
wrapped in those ridges
that kind of cry when it rains

I am hearing this for the first time
as a Keurig sputters out another cup
in the butlers pantry
"It's easier than the other ways of making
coffee."
"So my parents were drug lords?"
"Your parents were very high up with Los Zetas"
"Where is my mother?"
"A ranger found her in Los Tuxtlas
with a hippy camp that was sorry
to say that she had passed in the
night under the watchful eye of God."

I clicked my Sperry's together and wished
I had been born to Starbucks parents
who would leave me to play in the bra racks
at Target

or who would have left me once in the rain
and let me poop my pants and scar me
in some ordinary way

No comments:

Post a Comment