Friday, July 4, 2014

America

The shuddering waft deploys its stay
Not upon the fifth of May
Not upon the eighth of June
From morning's burn to afternoon

A winded horse froths and stomps
In better hills and undead swamps
And after many seasoned hands
Have jettisoned the cult of man's

Wicked want and cruel jewels
Shifty truths and unbound rules,
Monstrous reports in crackled tones
Echo hard on empty thrones

From the pinnacle of okay so
On down the road of I don't know
An entrenched brow of more or less
Is unfurling ever over the West

My wonderment is hearty still
A testament of wonton will
And surrender to endowment plus
The engine that drives all of us

'Cross hurting rows of desperate clasps:
An upright gaze despite the gasps
I bay and shout til tattered rasps
Escape the maw of all my pasts:

America, despite your flaws
Despite needy minds and seeming walls
Of mystic, gracious nonconstraint
You're my wild eyed knit, O holy haint

No comments:

Post a Comment